Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Anger

• pounding fists against the thighs, a table, a wall
  • breathing deeply, noisily
  • laughter with an edge
  • yelling
  • snapping at people
  • talking in a carefully controlled tone
  • a shaking voice
  • sarcasm
  • picking fights (verbal or physical)
  • irrational reactions to inconsequential things
  • demanding immediate action
  • jumping into things without thinking
  • taking inappropriate risks…

Win your readers’ hearts by tailoring your character’s emotional responses so they’re compelling, credible, and realistic.

If you struggle with writing emotions like so many writers do, you’ll be happy to know that this sample has been expanded into book form. The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression. For more information on this bestselling book and where it can be found, please visit our bookstore.

And the news gets better: we’ve added 15 entries to this collection, including grief, lust, and self-loathing. To access these, simply visit our online library at One Stop For Writers. There, you’ll find all 90 entries from our popular Emotion Thesaurus, which have been updated and enhanced to provide even greater value. Users also enjoy the flexibility of cross-referenced material for easy searchability across all of our completed thesaurus collections. Interested in viewing a sample? Register for free at One Stop, and see what this innovative online library can do for your storytelling.

Angela is an international speaker and bestselling author who loves to travel, teach, empower writers, and pay-it-forward. She also enjoys dreaming up new tools and resources for One Stop For Writers, a library built to help writers elevate their storytelling.

21 Responses to Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Anger

1. Pingback: Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Indignation | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

2. Pingback: Emotion Thesaurus Entry Collection (Samples) | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

3. HI Robert,

We’ve turned the Emotion thesaurus into a book, so you can find many more emotions there, along with in depth information about emotion.

Have a great day!

4. This one of the greatest blogs I have ever found. It consistantly makes my writing better. Would you be willing to add a couple of things to The Emotion Thesaurus? Entries for contempt, lust and irrationality would be big helps (I’m struggling to write scenes that include these. Thanks again for your hard work!

5. Jason says:

Thank you for this resource! Fantastic!

6. Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

7. Ann-Marie says:

Oh my, I just stumbled upon your site while searching for descriptions for places. Oh my gosh, you are a godsend! Can’t thank you enough!

8. Nice change from, “She was angry!” Show, not tell.

9. Inkblot says:

Just thought you might like to know I dug this out today especially to help with the rewrite of a scene :o)

10. Crystal (writermama on bb's) says:

Angela, Becca, thank you SO MUCH for this resource!! I just now happened upon this link through the blue boards (Verla Kay’s chat board) and couldn’t be more delighted. I am currently working on a mid-grade novel and recently got stuck on how to show a character’s anger. I put something very cliche but NOW I’m going back to revise it. Thank you, thank you for compiling such great ideas!

11. Angela says:

Thanks for letting us know where you heard about it from–it’s good to know the word is spreading. We really hope this will be a good resource for writers.

12. What an excellent idea. Very useful for writers. I have bookmarked your blog for easy reference.

I heard about this from the forum on Critique Circle. Thanks for a valuable resource.

13. Becca says:

We’re onto you, Kim. MWHAHAHAHAHHA

14. kimquirky says:

This is amazing! How did you know I needed this? 😉 Thank you both so much!

15. Becca says:

Glad you like it, Rachel :).

16. Angela says:

Thanks for your feedback–it’s good to know that others find this useful. Feel free to link to us if it’s easier–we’ll profile new emotions each week.

Happy writing!

17. Rachel says:

This IS a great idea! Love these posts. I am going to print these our for those times when I am telling and not showing. Thanks!

18. Becca says:

Yay! Hopefully it will come in useful. Thanks, Courtney!

19. Angela says:

Thanks, Courtney! We hope to post other ‘idea banks’ on different aspects of description as we move forward.

20. courtney says:

! What a FANTASTIC, excellent, excellent, helpful idea for blog entries. Rock on, you guys!!