A lot of people wonder how they can create a Breakout Blog that will help build platform and connect them to their audience. This series on Blogging Tips looks at ways to maximize blog performance so they can reach these goals.
People who know me know that I am big into sharing great writing content, helping to raise the profile of fellow bloggers/writers and utilizing social media to do both.
Why? Lots of people have helped me get to where I am, and I want to pay it forward. If I can do something to help another, I do my best to make it happen. (There isn’t anything special or amazing about this by the way–most people do this.) However, this type of community attitude IS what makes me feel privileged to call myself a writer!
But here’s the thing…sometimes sharing your content is DIFFICULT.
Rather than a single click to post your brilliant blog post to twitter and send more readers your way, I have to go through multiple steps.
What that looks like:
1) I read your blog post. I decide to share it. I look for a share button to twitter on your post….but there isn’t one.
2) I open a new window. I sign into Twitter.
3) I open another window to Bit.ly so I can shrink your URL into something Twitter friendly, leaving me room to describe what your blog post is about & title it.
4) I cut your URL, paste it to Bit.ly.
5) I copy the newly shortened URL.
6) I return to Twitter, paste the URL, add the title, commentary & a #hashtag and hit publish.
Compare that with having a share button on your post:
1) I read your blog post. I decide to share it. I find the share button and a window pops up with all the deets auto filled for me: URL, blog post title, etc.
2) I type in a #hashtag and hit publish.
I’ve talked before about making your blog easy to love. This is another one of those small ways you can really maximize opportunities to have your content shared. People are busy, and if it takes them too much time to try and share your content, they will move on to another blog.
Oh, did I mention adding a share button is incredibly EASY?
If you have a blogger blog, go to Design, then Blog Posts. Hit ‘edit’. Click the ‘Show Share Buttons‘ and save. WP has a ton of sharing options in Plug Ins.
Twitter is an amazing tool to network with other writers, and find great content to help you improve as a writer. If you have a blog, you should always be looking for ways to make it as user friendly as possible. This definitely means making your posts easy to share on Twitter.
FYI, I have two twitter accounts: @WriterThesaurus is for sharing amazing tools I find for writers, and @AngelaAckerman is for chit chat & sharing great blog content with my readers. If you tweet, please look me up!