Critiques 4 U

7346134332_d316cbd358_o

Courtesy: Denise Krebs at CC

I don’t know about you all, but I love to critique. Maybe it’s being able to help others with their trouble spots. Possibly, it’s my mutant writing gene that makes the revision stage my most favoritest part of the process. Maybe it’s my inner four-year-old reveling in the knowledge that I’m not the only one who needs help. Whatever the motivation, I do love to critique, but because of all the stuff I’ve got going on, I don’t get to do a lot of it these days.

But there’s this old saying: necessity is the mother of invention. What does this mean? It means that I’m creating my own opportunity to critique. And you guys are the guinea pigs beneficiaries.

Every month or so, I’ll post a call for first pages. If you’re working on something (no erotica, please) that needs fresh eyes, leave a comment. I’ll randomly draw 3 commenters from the 24-hour period that follows and post the winners in the comment section. If you win, you can email me your first page and I’ll give you my feedback.

So when, as Disney likes to say, does the magic begin? Well, there’s this other saying: There’s no time like the present. What does this mean? I think that’s fairly obvious. Anyone who’d like a first-page critique, please leave a comment including your name, the working title of your WIP, its genre, and the intended audience. On Wednesday, I’ll announce the winners and we can let the games begin!

This entry was posted in Critiquing & Critiques, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Critiques 4 U

1. Kinza Sheikh says:

Hehehe…. Found this website in the right time 😀
    I am writing a fantasy, its working title is *drumroll please* “Asdhaa Chronicles”
    (Asdhaa is Persian word for dragons)
    My intended audience is YA, even teen will do.

2. Julieta Wolff says:

Thanks for this!
    title: The Devil’s smile
    genre: fantasy fiction
    audience: new adult

• Hi, Julieta! I’m sorry, but this contest ended on Wednesday, September 10th. I’m going to be running one of these contests each month, though, so hopefully you can submit your first page another time.

3. :Donna Marie says:

I won’t be participating, but am really looking forward to enjoying what comes! 😀

4. I know the contest is closed, but next time you do this would you consider critiquing a blog? I always need constructive feedback, makes me a better writer. Thanks

5. lidy says:

I can’t believe I missed this. Next month I’m going to enter this contest for sure.

6. Thanks for entering, everyone! The contest is now closed, and the winners are…

1) Kelly Miller
    2) Karen Walters
    3) Terry Gene

Yay! Congrats, you three! Please email me your double-spaced first page at becca.puglisi@yahoo.com :).

Everyone else, thanks again for entering. I hope to do this on a regular basis (monthly, maybe?), so please try again next time.

7. Hell yeh! I’m up for this 🙂

Title: “Finding Luna”
    Genre: paranormal mystery / urban fantasy
    Audience: Adults / New Adults

X

8. Janet Smart says:

I’d love to win a critique – if I’m not too late to enter. Thanks!
    Title: Duck and Cover
    Genre: historical middle grade
    audience: middle grade kids

9. Auudrey says:

Title: Love As It Seems
    Genre: Romance
    Audience: Adult

10. Would love this opportunity,
    Title: Jared
    Genre: Romantic Suspense
    Audience: Adult

11. Addy Rae says:

This is lovely of you! I’ll have a try. 🙂

WIP: Working title just ‘Fear’. I don’t actually title until complete.
    Genre: YA Apocalyptic (NOT dystopian)
    Audience: Young Adults and Adults (since a lot of adult women read YA)

12. Rachel S. says:

Title: THE MOSTLY UNWILLING SPY
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Intended Audience: Upper MG (6th-8th graders)

Thank you so much!

13. What the hell, she says, putting on her big girl panties . . .

Title: Initiate of Stone

Genre Epic Fantasy

Audience: Adult (protag is youthful but content is not)

14. Such a deal! I’m posting your contest on my FB page for writing friends.
    Title: “Dances with Butterflies”
    Genre: mystery/romance for inspirational market
    Audience: Adults

15. Joan says:

WIP: Willow Lake (Working Title)
    Genre: Suspense
    Audience: Adult

16. Terry Gene says:

WiP: Matryoschka Sarah
    Genre: SciFi Romance
    Audience: New Adult to Adult

17. Amy Mills says:

Thanks, Becca, for your time! What an awesome thing to do!
    Title: The Cure