My 2009 Word…Finally!

Over at ROOTS IN MYTH, I found out about this neato idea to start the year off with a focus word to help keep me on track and to inspire me to reach my writing goals. I’ve been thinking about it long and hard, trying on words and seeing what feels right for me. Then today, sweating at the gym on the stepper machine, it hit me–the perfect word.

AMAZE

The why is simple. This year, I want to amaze myself. I want to look back at the end of 2009 and feel thrilled at what I’ve accomplished, at how hard I worked, pushing to meet or exceed expectations. I want to amaze through my quality of writing, my creativity and my stamina. This really will be a ‘push’ sort of year for me, I believe.

I’m going to put this word at my desk as my focus. How about you? Do you have a word for 2009 yet?

This entry was posted in About Us, Focus. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to My 2009 Word…Finally!

1. Angela says:

Becca, I’ll be looking forward to earing your word!

*shuffles feet* Thanks Patty!

Mary, nice to see you here. I look forward to hearing your word, too!

2. Mary Lindsey says:

I love this idea. I’m trying to come up with a word. “Amaze” is perfect. I hope you achieve your goal to amaze yourself. From your posts on your blogs, I have a hunch you will.

Good luck in 2009.

Thanks for visiting and following the QueryTracker blog.

3. Patty P says:

Amaze. Great word. In this crazy business of writing, it’s just as important to amaze ourselves as anyone else.
    Thanks for this great blog. You constantly amaze me!

4. Becca says:

I’ve been thinking about this but still don’t have a word. A lot are floating around: diversify, persevere, baby steps, relax. I’ll get back to you :).

5. Angela says:

Mary, that one sounds good to me. That’s how I feel, too!

CR, when you have it, come back and post it, kay? I love seeing what words people come up with.

PJ, I love your word. I was hard pressed to find one that could compare, let me tell you!

CJ–AWESOME! I love shine too! All these great words!

Vijaya, courage is always good. This word fit me two years ago–that’s when I decided enough was enough and I had to try some new POVs to find one that reallsy struck a cord with me.

Merc, I can’t wait to see your word!

Lady G, I think hope is a good one too, because we can never lose sight of it or frustration and depression will eat away at us too much to get anything done. Great choice for you and your friend.

Bish, I like your phrase–nice and positive.

Thanks, Beth. I think for me, I feel like I’ve lost some steam with the set back of leaving an agent last year, so I want to really pick things up again and prove to myself that it’s just a small bumb in the road and I can accomplish great things if I really set my mind to it.

6. beth says:

I really like this word–and the fact that you want to amaze yourself before others. 🙂

7. Bish Denham says:

Great word! I have a phrase: “Everything fine, in 2009.”
    And so far…IT IS!

8. Lady Glamis says:

Cool! Yes, I have a friend who chose “HOPE” as her word. I love that one!

I think I’ve adopted it as well.

I love AMAZE, too. What a great idea. Thank you for sharing!

9. Merc says:

Great word! 😀

No, I haven’t picked one… might consider it now. 😉

~Merc

10. Vijaya says:

What a great idea and word!
    I think mine will have to be Courage. I’m a scaredy cat in many ways, sticking to the familiar, the known. I could use a good dose of courage in all areas of my life.

11. CJ Raymer says:

I love this! My word is SHINE. I’m hoping that the perfect agent for me will be attracted to shiny objects, such as myself. Tee! Hee!

No really. I want to shine bright and bold. I want to shine through the doubts and unbelief that I will face during the many writing challenges that will come this year. I want to shine forth and radiate my love for the craft and my dedication to growth. And, it rhymes with 2009. (I know, I’m such a dweeb!) XOXO

12. PJ Hoover says:

This is an AMAZING word! I love it! It’s really perfect. Probably my second favorite word I’ve seen (since mine is first).
    Great choice! I believe I’ll use it as my “secondary” word. 🙂

13. C.R. Evers says:

ohhhh! great word! I”m still thinking about mine!

Christy

14. Mary Witzl says:

No, but I’ve got a phrase: “Go for broke.” I’ve been using it and thinking it since December 2008. This year is going to be the year — or I don’t know what!