Creating Unforgettable Settings Part 1: Choosing the Right Setting

settingAs writers, we often underestimate the power of setting. Who didn’t want to visit the Hundred-Acre Wood? How much of our Bilbo-love is wrapped up in Hobbiton, my precious? And whatever you might think of the Twilight series, the ho-hum town of Forks became a little more interesting because it was the perfect home for Meyer’s vampires. In every genre, the right setting, well-written, is an invaluable piece of the falling-in-love-with-a-book puzzle. To explore this a bit more, I’m introducing a series on Creating Unforgettable Settings. Today’s tip:

CHOOSING THE RIGHT SETTING

In college I had a button that said Waiting for Mr. ‘He’ll Do’. I pinned it to my bedroom bulletin board because, despite the chuckles it gave me, I was a little embarrassed to wear it. (enter Non-Lawyer Spokesperson stating that my husband is babe-a-licious and in no way did I settle when I picked him). When it comes to writing, we jump through all kinds of hoops to draw our characters perfectly, to make sure our plotlines are flawless with no holes or inconsistencies. The setting, on the other hand, is often an afterthought. No more Mr. He’ll Do, people. Here are some tips for strengthening your story by choosing just the right setting.

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000046_00067]

now available: click to view

1. First of all, if the story really could take place anywhere, don’t over-think it. Keep it simple, and go with a general location that works. However, there should be places within that setting that are important to the character. Melinda’s janitorial closet in Speak. Or the forest outside District 12 for Katniss in The Hunger Games. Those sacred places should reveal something about the hero: her desires or fears, her true character, her Achilles’ heel. When individualizing your setting so it reflects upon your characters, ask yourself these questions: Which specific part of the setting is most important to them? Why? What should that area reveal about them? Build your setting around the characters and their conflict and you’ll create a place that readers will want to re-visit.

2. Make sure your setting comes fully-stocked with challenges, because…let’s be honest: the perfect world actually sounds pretty boring. Characters need problems to overcome, and the setting is a natural vehicle for conflict. Look at Middle Earth. Black, chasm-ridden mines. Midge-filled marshes. The Paths of the Dead. When deciding on a setting, choose one that makes sense for your characters but one that also makes things difficult in some way—specifically difficult for your hero, if possible. Is he afraid of heights? Throw some skyscrapers or narrow mountain passes in there. Does he suffer from seasonal allergies? Set the story in spring. Specifically design your setting to complicate your hero’s life, and it won’t fall flat.

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000046_00072]

now available: click to view

3. One of the most important aspects of a strong setting is your character’s emotional connection to it. The stronger a character’s connection to her world, the stronger a reader’s connection will be to that world. To strengthen this connection, first choose a setting that perfectly fits your character, then show the character interacting with that setting. For example: South Dakota isn’t on my list of places to visit, but Laura Ingalls Wilder was smitten with it, and through her eyes, I could see its charm. However, a negative connection can be just as strong as a positive one. In Katherine Paterson’s Jacob Have I Loved, lead character Sara Louise hates living on Rass Island. But in describing how detestable it is, Paterson creates a crystal clear view of the place, and the reader comes to realize that the setting is only ugly to Sara Louise because she’s so miserable herself.

Describe your setting through the point of view of your character—its beauty or ugliness, prosperity or poverty, desirability or loathsomeness. Show how the main character is emotionally-connected to the setting and your reader will share that connection as well!

Read on for more help with settings:

Part 2: Describing The Setting

Part 3: Maximizing The Setting

Part 4: World Building

Image: Geralt @ Pixabay

This entry was posted in Setting, Setting Thesaurus Guides, Show Don't Tell, Subtext, Writing Craft, Writing Lessons. Bookmark the permalink.

trackback

[…] far in this series, we’ve touched on choosing the right setting, describing the setting, and maximizing the setting through various figures of speech and […]

trackback

[…] You’ve picked the perfect setting for your story. You can describe it so clearly and compellingly that your readers will want to move there. Is that […]

trackback

[…] ’cause what good is the perfect setting if you can’t convey it to the reader? So once you’ve figured out the right spot for your story, here are a few tips for describing it […]

beyondtourism

Good post. I have say setting (description) is not my strong point. But this has given me some great ideas for my novel and how to use my setting, a colony ship in space, to great effect.

A Mom's Choice

I love your site. Could you put a email subscription for feedburner? Good post, I agree the character needs an obstacle or the story will be boring.

Julie Musil

I love writing about settings! I don’t know why, but it’s just this thing about me. I have to be careful not to write too much about it. These are such great tips, thanks!

Amanda the Aspiring

These are really helpful pointers! Thanks for posting. =)

Traci Kenworth

I agree! The perfect setting grows out of the character. For me, you can’t sit them just anywhere, they need a place to call home, somewhere to cherish, and fight for.

Laura Pauling

Depends on the story. Some settings demand to be likened to a characters and others need to be background. It’s important to know for your story, which it is. Great post!

Sharon K. Mayhew

You are so right! Setting is sooo important. I carry a travel journal with me when I travel so that I can jot down details. I also take a camera with me. It’s a great way to record details…

Mysti

I agree that setting isn’t one of my biggest strengths either. It’s often an afterthought–more distinctly–good minute descriptions of setting are not my strong suit.

Really want to work on that-thanks!

Elle Strauss

Thanks for the reminder–I’m working on setting at the moment, so great timing!

kathrynjankowski

This is so helpful. Thanks!

Jenny

This is great! I think that you’ve made a *really* important point re: the setting doesn’t have to be completely made up or exotic–Laura Ingalls Wilder was a great example.

C.R. Evers

Great post! I especially like the part about the characters emotional attachment to the setting. Great point.

Stina Lindenblatt

Setting is definitely not one of my strengths. And if it weren’t for this blog, I’d be doomed. 😉

Great advice, as always.

Becca Puglisi

I’m so glad this is resonating with more than a handful of people, lol. The setting is usually one of the first things that come to me with a new story, but I know it’s not high on the priority list for a lot of people. Shannon Hale and Shannon Shinn are masters at creating vivid settings, imo. Thank you, Deb, for pointing out another author whose name isn’t Shannon…

The Golden Eagle

Thanks for these tips on setting!

Lisa Gail Green

This is such a helpful post!! Thank you. You put into words things that have been swimming around in my head.

Susan R. Mills

Setting is so important. These are great tips here.

V.R. Leavitt

Great tips!!

Jamie Grey

Fantastic post! I struggle with finding the right balance between too much and too little setting. This tips will be really helpful!

LM Preston

World building is one of my most favored parts of the writing process.

Shannon O'Donnell

This is in my top five Bookshelf Muse favorites – love it!! Sooooooo helpful. Thank you! 🙂

Heather

This is awesome! I’m kind of odd. My stories usually develop out of a setting so it becomes integral to the story, almost like another character.

writtenwyrdd

Great post and thanks for sharing! I’ve always considered the setting, particularly in speculative fiction, to be a character in and of itself. In the spec fic genre, it’s always important (unless you are writing a romance, which can underplay the world to a large degree).

Holly Ruggiero

Great reminder that our perfect wherever needs to have problems too.

AubrieAnne

This is great. I fully believe that the setting should eb a character within itself and should add something special to the story, but at the same time, it is not something you really have to overthink.

AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/

Angela Ackerman

IMO, one of your biggest writing strengths is your ability to craft vivid, compelling settings and worlds. Thanks so much for sharing all this with us.

Angela

Melissa Alexander

Oooh, I love setting. To me it’s as important as my other characters, because it *is* a character. Setting helps set mood, and it adds a delicious later of realism to the pie. I also use it to show a lot about my characters — how they view their setting changes as they change.