WRITING HERO: Jami Gold

Welcome to the Writing Heroes Series, where we acknowledge the people who have helped us develop into stronger writers and who add to the writing community as a whole. These heroes really make an impact, and deserve recognition for all they do.

So with that, I’d like to tell you about my Writing Hero, JAMI GOLD.

I met Jami through Twitter, where I quickly discovered that not only was she super friendly, she also had a treasure trove of writing information at her blog, Beach Reads With Bite. From there I found out that she had a zombie cat, and this reaffirmed what I suspected–she was one of the most awesome people ever.

One thing I love about Jami is that she really pays attention to the mood in the writing community. She always posts timely articles on what’s happening, how writers feel about it, and what her take is. Some people stay away from topics that are sensitive or might cause friction, but Jami knows that writers need to understand the climate we all work in in order to navigate the ups and downs. Whether on writing life or the how-to’s of writing craft, her posts always offer sound ideas and advice.

I had an opportunity to read some of Jami’s work, and I really loved it. I won’t post spoilers, but her premise took on high fantasy idea which she then re-genred (probably not a word, but it fits) as a contemporary romance. Brilliant!

Anyone who knows Jami will not be surprised to see her featured here. She is always willing to help, advise, and offer encouraging words to those who need it. She works hard to forge friendships and stay connected to writers. Find her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and more!

Thank you Jami, for being one of my WRITING HEROES. You inspire me, woman!

To pay it forward, I will give a 1000-word critique to Jami. She can then choose to keep it for herself or offer it as a giveaway on her blog! As a resident writing hero, she will also have a permanent link in our header.

So tell me Musers…do you know Jami Gold? Has she helped you or your writing in some way? Please tell us in the comments and help celebrate this amazing WRITING HERO!

trackback

[…] finally saw the news that one of my favorite websites, The Bookshelf Muse, had honored me as a Writing Hero.  *cue tears*  Then throughout the day, people posted comments saying the nicest things about me. […]

Jemi Fraser

Great choice – Jami is awesome!! 🙂

Janet B Taylor

When I first ventured–like a frightened baby deer–into the writing world a couple of years ago, Jami was the first person to reach out to me. She was sweet and supportive and such an inspiration. It’s writers helping writers that makes this sometimes ecstatic, sometimes excruciating journey worthwhile. And Jami is one writer who embodies that philosophy. 🙂
Thanks Jami!

E. Arroyo

Awesome. And thanks Jami for all the great info you share. =)

Pk Hrezo

Sounds like my kind of girl! I’m headed over to her blog and check it out right now. THanks for sharing!

Miranda Hardy

Yeah! Jami is awesome. I love reading her views.

Tamara Heiner

Hi Angela! You won an ebook! Stop by my blog and tell me which one you’d like!

Susan Roebuck

I love to meet new people in the writing community. I’ll definitely check her out – the name of her blog is just right for me 🙂

Leslie S. Rose

Jami sounds really cool. I shall go a-visitin’.

Lisa Gail Green

Yay Jami!!!! She’s awesome. I have to go visit her. I haven’t in a while. SHAME ON ME.

Melinda S. Collins

Yay!!!! Jami is *definitely* a writing hero and I absolutely CANNOT imagine the writing community without her. You and Daniel absolutely covered the top reasons to why she is an incredible asset to the writing community, and she’s absolutely amazing in craft. I had the opportunity to read some of her work as well, and I thoroughly enjoyed every. single. word!

Congratulations, Jami!!! 🙂

Febe Moss

Jami has the best blog! I found her blog while researching the Save the cat technique! She’s so friendly on twitter too! great person with a great writing voice.

David Purse

I’ve never heard of Jami Gold, but she sounds like an awesome person. Anyone who has a zombie cat has to be awesome. But the fact that she’s a writer who is friendly and approachable, plus reimagines genres has to be pretty cool too. Bravo for highlighting her.

Jami Gold

Wow, everyone! Now I feel speechless *and* have moisture in my eyes. 🙂

You all are the best! The writing community is what makes the rejections and insane news we sometimes get from the publishing industry worth it all. *hugs* to everyone!

kittyb78

I’ve read some of her blog articles. Interesting stuff.

Angela Ackerman

I am loving reading all these nice things about Jami–she so deserves it! And I’m glad a few new people are finding her blog and connecting with her on twitter, too! 🙂

Angela

Traci Kenworth

Great choice!! Congratulations to Jami!!

Bish Denham

I don’t know Jami, but I’m happy to have been introduced. Thanks Angela!

SP Sipal

I definitely want to add my voice to all the praise being heaped on Jami! She is definitely one of my writing heroines. Not only do I love her Tweets and have learned so much from her blog, but have found her to be such a warm, caring, generous person. She’s one of the biggest reasons the writing community is as awesome as it is.

Thanks Angela for honoring her and thanks Jami for being so awesome!

Susan

Gina Fava

Becca and Angela,
I connected with Jami Gold over a month ago after Googling a writing topic that took me to her blog. After reading the post on my topic of interest, I could not stop reading her other posts–all informative, concise,fun,and engaging…just like her. We’ve connected on Twitter and Facebook, and she’s lovely–helpful, kind, and thoughtful.
I am so pleased that you’re recognizing her contribution to the writing community–well done, you two!

Gene Lempp

You could not have picked a better person – yay for Jami!

Without Jami I’d still be an egg on Twitter and I wouldn’t have such an excellent collection of colored markers and index cards. She is always a friend, even on the busiest of days. A true gem 🙂

Rosemary Gemmell

Thanks for highlighting Jami – off to check out her blog!

Shelley Munro

Congratulations, Jami. I’m off to visit your blog.

maureen

Jami is awesome! She always has something intelligent to say on her blog….much appreciated! WE ARE SO LUCKY!

Marcy Kennedy

I can’t think of anyone who deserves this honor more than Jami. I love her blog for the practical, diplomatic way she does handle hot topics in the writing world. And as you said, she’s just a genuinely nice person 🙂

Becca Puglisi

Yay, Jami! Another great pick!

Lena

Such a sweet gesture. Thanks for introducing Jami to us. Will drop by her blog soon.

KarenG

I second that. Jami’s blog is one I rarely miss. I’ve RT’d more of her posts than anyone’s, I think!

Ava Jae

Yay! I second what Daniel said–Jami’s posts are hugely informative and thoughtful and she definitely deserves this mention. Another great pick, ladies! 🙂

Angela Ackerman

I am so happy to profile you, Jami! I think Daniel hit it right on the mark–you provide great insight and always have a thoughtful response for everyone who comes by your blog. 🙂 You are a great asset to the writing community, and I am lucky to know you 🙂

Angela