Holy buckets, people. They’re coming. They’re actually coming! The next two books in our descriptive writing series—the ones we’ve been working on for a full year. The ones we thought would be done in August but it turned out we needed another two months to achieve the appropriate level of AWESOME. The ones that have turned Angela and me prematurely (yes, prematurely!) gray. The ones that…well, you get the picture. So, without further verbosity…
Nothing adds complexity like character flaws. Inside the Negative Trait Thesaurus you’ll find:
* A vast collection of flaws to explore when building a character’s personality. Each entry includes possible causes, attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and related emotions
* Real examples from literature, film, or television to show how each flaw can create life challenges and relational friction
* Advice on building layered and memorable characters from the ground up
* An in-depth look at backstory, emotional wounds, and how pain twists a character’s view of himself and his world, influencing behavior and decision making
* A flaw-centric exploration of character arc, relationships, motivation, and basic needs
* Tips on how to best show a character’s flaws to readers while avoiding common pitfalls
* Downloadable tools to aid writers in character creation
The Negative Trait Thesaurus sheds light on your character’s dark side.
Character creation can be hard, but it’s about to get a lot easier. Inside The Positive Trait Thesaurus, you’ll find:
* A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
* Real character examples from literature, film, or television to show how an attribute drives actions and decisions, influences goals, and steers relationships
* Advice on using positive traits to immediately hook readers while avoiding common personality pitfalls
* Insight on human needs and morality, and how each determines the strengths that emerge in heroes and villains alike
* Information on the key role positive attributes play within the character arc, and how they’re vital to overcoming fatal flaws and achieving success
* Downloadable tools for organizing a character’s attributes and providing a deeper understanding of his past, his needs, and the emotional wounds he must overcome
If you find character creation difficult or worry that your cast members all seem the same, The Positive Trait Thesaurus is brimming with ideas to help you develop one-of-a-kind, dynamic characters that readers will love.
Oh my gosh, we are SO excited about these books, you have no idea. When Angela and I start a new thesaurus, it almost always comes from a place of personal struggle: Where do we have problems in our own writing? Is this a problem that other writers have? What kind of resource might help us all in that area? Characterization is hard to get right, so we knew we wanted to tackle that one at some point.
Then we started writing the Character Traits Thesaurus entries on our blog. We knew we’d stumbled onto something good when so many of you started telling us how useful they were. So we’ve expanded our original thesaurus, providing more content for each entry, plus adding a bunch more traits—so many that we had to split the resource into two manageable books. And we are so excited to release them upon the writing world!
And when is the big day? you may wonder. Well, wonder no more. Our newest books will be available for purchase October 21st! And, you know, we can’t celebrate without some kind of spectacle—one that will involve lots of cool giveaways, encouragement for writers, and general shenanigans within the community. But, my goodness, I can’t spill the beans on that just yet. We’ll save that for another post ;).
So thanks again, to everyone who has encouraged us, supported our work, and sent happy messages regarding your experiences with The Emotion Thesaurus. Without all of you, these books would still be sidebar links, a mere portion of their full potential. More good news to come. Can’t wait to share it with you all!