Welp, the kids are back in school, I’m all moved into my new place, and no hurricanes are imminent, so I’m finally getting back into my groove. Which is good, considering I’ve got TWO amazing critique opportunities for you this month!
#1: Our Regularly Scheduled First-Page Critique Contest
THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED, but the character critique is still open. Keep reading for info 🙂
If you’re working on a first page (in any genre except erotica) and would like some objective feedback, please leave a comment. Any comment :). As long as the email address associated with your WordPress account/comment profile is up-to-date,I’ll be able to contact you if your first page is chosen. Just please know that if I’m unable to get in touch with you through that address, you’ll have to forfeit your win.
▪ Please be sure your first page is ready to go so I can critique it before next month’s contest rolls around. If it needs some work and you won’t be able to get it to me right away, let me ask that you plan on entering the next contest, once any necessary tweaking has been taken care of.
▪ I’d like to be able to use portions of winning submissions as illustrations in an upcoming presentation on first pages. By entering the Critiques 4 U contest, you’ll be granting permission for me to use small writing samples only (no author names or book titles).
Three commenters’ names will be randomly drawn and posted tomorrow morning. If you win, you can email me your first page and I’ll offer my feedback.
We run this contest on a monthly basis, so if you’d like to be notified when the next opportunity comes around, consider subscribing to our blog (see the left-hand sidebar).
Regardless of whether or not you’re entering our Critiques 4 U contest, we’ve got one more limited-time opportunity you may want to take advantage of: a chance for you to get feedback on one of your characters! First, a little bit of background info:
#2: One Stop for Writers and Author Accelerator would like to invite YOU to their Character Clinic on October 8th!
This live webinar will show you how to take a character from good to GREAT. Plus it’s an opportunity to…
- Get an intimate look into what happens between a writing coach and their client during the character development process
- Gain insight into the details about a character that REALLY MATTER so you know exactly what to brainstorm
- See how One Stop’s hyper-intelligent Character Builder will help you craft a fascinating and meaningful story cast.
Or if you’d rather get started on building a powerful character right now, activate our free trial. No credit card is necessary. Not only will you have full access to the site, you’ll be able to create one Character Profile using the Character Builder!
Becca Puglisi is an international speaker, writing coach, and bestselling author of The Emotion Thesaurus and its sequels. Her books are available in five languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world. She is passionate about learning and sharing her knowledge with others through her Writers Helping Writers blog and via One Stop For Writers—a powerhouse online library created to help writers elevate their storytelling.