WRITERS HELPING WRITERS®

writershelpingwriters_logo_6x6inch_final_optWelcome to Writers Helping Writers®, formerly “The Bookshelf Muse.”

Our mission? To offer help and support, empowering writers everywhere.

This site has many one-of-a-kind tools and resources for writers, editors and teachers, so we encourage you to poke around.

Logo-OneStop-For-Writers-smallWe are strong believers in innovation, and are always trying to think about what writers need most of all. Along this line, we are very pleased to bring you something new from Writers Helping Writers: a powerhouse library unlike any other.

One Stop For Writers® is filled with innovative tools, resources and writing help that will help you write more productively while helping you to elevate your storytelling.

Our second site really must be seen to be believed, so pop over for a visit (registration is always free), or click over to our One Stop For Writers page here for more details.

divider-30134_960_720

Angela Ackerman:

Angela is Canadian, and loves her home near Calgary, Alberta, nestled close to the Rockies. She enjoys traveling with her family, exploring new and unusual places, and is constantly amazed at how the universe seems to bring along the people she needs at just the right time. Because of this, she tries her best to be part of the chain, paying-it-forward in whatever way she is able to.

The author of several bestselling resource books printed in 6 different languages, Angela enjoys building communities and sharing her passion for writing craft. She is a writing coach, international speaker, and a firm believer that writers succeed best together.

In the fiction realm, Angela often writes about mythology in the real world, but twists everything so that it’s much darker and interesting. She’s also drawn to thriller elements, apocalyptic scenarios, and characters who are able to find the strength to face their deepest fears and most painful emotional wounds. Her audience of preference is middle grade and young adult, and this is no surprise as kids are often a beacon of internal strength that represents one of the best facets humanity has to offer.

Angela’s fiction is represented by the ever-tenacious Jill Corcoran of the Jill Corcoran Literary Agency and her non-fiction foreign rights are being cared for by Marleen Seegers of 2 Seas Agency.  To contact Angela about workshops, retreats, or other events, please get in touch or request a Speaker’s Brochure. To discuss opportunities regarding her popular One Stop For Writers site, please choose the One Stop email option below.

Email Angela (Writers Helping Writers)

Email Angela (One Stop For Writers)

divider-30134_960_720

Becca Puglisi:

Jennifer McGuire Photography

In her former life, Becca Puglisi was a teacher—elementary, because six-year-olds are easy to push around and the math isn’t too hard. She read roughly a gajillion picture books to her students, and it was her love for these books that originally motivated her to become an author, though she’s since moved on to young adult novels, since they’re much easier to write.

Now, Becca is a YA fantasy/historical fiction writer and co-author of a number of descriptive resources for writers, including the bestselling The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression. Becca is an international speaker who enjoys teaching workshops and presenting various writerly topics. Her books are represented by foreign rights agent Marleen Seegers of 2 Seas Agency.

When not writing, Becca’s life revolves around her husband and two adorable little blessings. Al is wonderfully supportive of his wife’s writing career. He is also a comfortable kind of husband who doesn’t complain when the kids get nutritious leftovers while he has to scrounge some kind of meal out of stale Cheerios, yogurt, and Velveeta. Becca’s little ones, a girl and a boy, keep her intimately acquainted with the children’s section of the library, the park, and any Chick-fil-A with a playground. She has given up wearing lipstick because she can’t stop kissing her kids.

During her free time (ha), Becca enjoys playing video games, watching movies, teaching Bible studies, baking, and adding to her stash of emergency supplies. She has always enjoyed contemplating the What if? scenario, which served her well when she lived in south Florida and will help her survive the winter now that she’s moved to New York.

To contact Becca about workshops, retreats, or other events, please get in touch or request a Speaker’s Brochure. To discuss opportunities regarding her popular One Stop For Writers site, please choose the One Stop email option provided below.

EMAIL Becca (Writers Helping Writers)

EMAIL Becca (One Stop For Writers)

divider-30134_960_720

DO YOU BELIEVE IN FATE?

If so, you can read about how Becca and I met in person for the very first time. The universe definitely had a hand in things!

45 Responses to WRITERS HELPING WRITERS®

1. Pingback: Holy Smokes! This is just too exciting. | Romance Under Fire

2. Angela and Becca, as I was browsing the Barnes & Noble mini-bookstore at Willamette Writers Conference this past weekend I overheard a fellow shopper ask about The Emotional Thesaurus. Immediately, the clerk advised they could not bring everything but with the request at the conference, they would happily ship a copy waiving shipping charges. Thought you’d like to know you’re everywhere!

3. Pingback: Character Building Tools Every Writer Needs | COW PASTURE CHRONICLES

4. Pingback: IWSG: OMG, Was I Wrong About Cyberspace Connections | Romance Under Fire

5. Anya says:

Thank you for this interesting and very helpful website.

I was wondering, can there exist someday a Country Thesaurus? You know, different countries and their climates, their languages – if they talk in dialect or plain English, for example :). Was just thinking and thought to ask. Have a nice day.

6. Johnf5 says:

I have recently started a web site, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time &amp work. There can be no real freedom without the freedom to fail. by Erich Fromm. ebfekckkagfa

7. Pingback: Writing the About Page | Think Harder

8. Pingback: The “R” word | Z is for Zampetti

9. Dave Powell says:

sorry… posted twice:)

10. Dave Powell says:

Hello, Are any of your works in audio format?

Thanks, Dave Powell
    Lake Worth, FL

11. Pingback: Blog Links of Interest | Mindy Hardwick's Blog

12. Pingback: 5 Steps To Find Your Book’s Ideal Audience | Au Courant Press Journal

13. Pingback: Liebster nomination | healed1337

14. Pingback: Writing the About Page | Curate. Connect. Collaborate. Create.

15. This website has helped me sooooo much!

16. Ellen 1213 says:

sorry found it

17. Ellen 1213 says:

Excuse me I forgot how to find the page with all the different thesaurus guides [weather, skills etc.]

18. Ellen 1213 says:

Thank you for your wonderful website. Its full of ideas for my current book (don’t worry I’m not copying, just vocab) yippee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Sandy says:

Hi Angela and Becca
    I just found your website and have been glimpsing into who you guys are, I kind of feel like a voyeur – not that I am into that 🙂 As soon as I found out that Angela was from Canada (I am a fellow Canadian myself in northern Ontario) and Becca who is in Florida (I am also an avid snowbird who spends the winter months in southwest Florida) I felt a connection 🙂 I don’t want to sound creepy, but I just thought it was cool.

Anyway, as an inspiring writer myself I found your website very helpful, checked out the writers tools and even bought your books, which I just downloaded from the Amazon Kindle store before writing this. I am looking forward to delving into them as I am working on my first novel and think something is missing and think that your books will be an excellent resource to round out my characters. I also checked out the free pdf’s you offered and have included them in my ever growing ‘writer’s grab bag’

I look forward to checking back for updates – it was refreshing to find your site and find actual useful information!

• Hi, Sandy! Thank you for leaving us such a nice message! I’m in southeast Florida, so when you make your back down here, I’ll wave at you from the east coast ;). I’m so glad you’ve found our site useful. We do strive to share practical information, so hopefully we’ve met that goal with you. Best of luck with your writing!

20. Pingback: Book Spotlight: The Emotion Thesaurus | A Writer's Wings

21. Allie Eads says:

How do I make my character have a spontaneous decision without cliche?

• Hi Allie,

The trick is to really know your character–understanding their personality, their emotional expression range, what motivates them and why, etc. When you know your character at depth, you better understand how he may act and react in any given situation and can then describe it. Each of us expresses ourselves differently depending on what is going on, what is at stake, who we’re with and how we feel at the time. So put yourself into your character’s shoes and think about how what he is thinking and feeling in the moment and this will help you show how he will react based on his current emotions. Try to think past the face to what the whole body is doing, internally and externally. Does this help?

When in doubt, think about how you might act in the situation–what you might say or avoid saying, what gestures you might use, what your body posture is like, and what your body is doing (hands. legs, etc.) not just facial expressions. Then try to describe this in a way that is fresh. I hate mentioning our own books, but this is specifically what The Emotion Thesaurus can help with.

Good luck!

Angela

22. Pingback: Story A Day May 7: “Cave Camping” | shanjeniah

23. Pingback: Of Minor Catastrophes, #WANACon, and #WriteMotivation | Rebekah Loper

24. Cheryl ODonovan says:

OMG, Angela and Becca, I am shrieking for joy over this website. At this rate, my neighbor will call the cops and I’ll be fitted with a straightjacket (and she’s done this once to me before, because I usually work in my PJ’s and probably look a little mentally ill). This is an astoundingly resourceful site. I feel like I’ve hit the motherlode, that my fairy godmother tapped her wand on my head this morning and said, “Here. Here, darling, Cheryl, something to make life easier. Go forth and write, woman, write!” (And of course, I still procrastinate) I’ve already alerted four of my writer friends to your site — like it’s Mecca. I cannot wait to dive into all this. I did already print up those active verbs… first 3 pages scrambled for some reason. Probably the NSA monitoring me. (LOL) You two need BIG OLE HUGS for doing this. I love the concept of your site, too, “Writers helping others!” Okay. I’ll stop gushing now.

• Hi Cheryl! It is always a thrill for me when someone find our site for the first time. I am thrilled you’ve had a poke around and have found some good content to help you with your writing. And thank you for spreading the word as well–we’ve just recently moved form Blogger to WP and changed our name, so any help we can get for letting people know about us is great!

Sorry you had issues with the active verb list. I printed it out on my end to make sure it wasn’t a corrupted file, and it printed fine. This is just more proof that the NSA is involved, because I’m a Canadian and they foolishly have dismissed us as a threat. One day when we sweep across the land on flying steeds made of poutine and maple syrup destroying everything in our path with politeness will they understand their folly. 😉

25. Pingback: Protagonist or Antagonist: Who to Introduce First | Carol Balawyder

26. Pingback: Your Critique Family | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

27. jo says:

I just want to thank you for the way you made the negative and positive thesaurus available for people who didn’t have access to the Paypal method of payment in their countries. I don’t know if you remember me but i sent you several emails concerning the problems i had paying for the Emotions Thesaurus because of that. Thanks for making at available through credit card system which made it possible to buy in my country. Thank you. And God bless.

• Jo, thanks for letting us know our payment method worked well for you. It has been a struggle to find something that isn’t just Pal Pal, and so Gumroad has worked well for this. Wishing you much success with your writing!

28. Destiny says:

Hello Angela & Becca,

I just wanted to say hello, and say thank you so much for a wonderful site! I listened to your wana presentation.
    It was so informative and packed with interesting and very useful information. Just bought your two new books, can’t wait to receive them and read.

Shared your link with my writer friends. Your hand outs are awesome!

Best wishes,
    D

p.s it was such a shame I did not hear about your event you ran. I hope you will both be doing more of these and more presentations please.

• So glad you found the presentation helpful, and thanks for giving those two books a try, Destiny! And yes, please do share those handouts–we’re happy to send those to everyone who needs them! 🙂

29. Jan Swanson says:

I want to express thanks for all you have done and continue to do for writers. I love your web site… Jan

30. Pingback: Thankful Thursday | Dawn Allen