It’s a writer’s job to create compelling characters who can withstand life’s fallout without giving up. But building authentic, memorable heroes is no easy task. To forge realistic characters, we must hobble them with flaws that set them back while giving them positive attributes to help them achieve their goals. So how do writers choose the right blend of strengths for their characters–attributes that will render them admirable and worth rooting for—without making it too easy for them to succeed? Character creation can be hard, but it’s about to get a lot easier.
Inside The Positive Trait Thesaurus, you’ll find:
- A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
- Real character examples from literature, film, or television to show how an attribute drives actions and decisions, influences goals, and steers relationships
- Advice on using positive traits to immediately hook readers while avoiding common personality pitfalls
- Insight on human needs and morality, and how each determines the strengths that emerge in heroes and villains alike
- Information on the key role positive attributes play within the character arc, and how they’re vital to overcoming fatal flaws and achieving success
- Downloadable tools for organizing a character’s attributes and providing a deeper understanding of his past, his needs, and the emotional wounds he must overcome
If you find character creation difficult or worry that your cast members all seem the same, The Positive Trait Thesaurus is brimming with ideas to help you develop one-of-a-kind, dynamic characters that readers will love. Extensively indexed, with entries written in a user-friendly list format, this brainstorming resource is perfect for any character creation project.
For a sneak peak, click the image to preview this book at Amazon (contains an affiliate link).
Buy the book in print and ebook or PDF formats
Add it to your Goodreads list and see what reviewers are saying
See the master list of entries
Therefore there are so many of them available
Warren Hawkins says
Do your books come in book form?
ANGELA ACKERMAN says
Hi Warren, I’m assuming you’re asking about the format of our books, but I’m not sure which you need. Our books are all available in Print, eBook, and PDF except for Emotional Amplifiers which is just eBook and Print. YOu can find all the places to get our books here: https://writershelpingwriters.net/bookstore/
Joseph M. Munoz says
I have read the book, and it was beneficial for my mental blocks! The book has a vast amount of good reviews. I have to write my book report for my work and I even decided to base my information on this particular book.
Thank you Angela & Becca for such an excellent book!
ANGELA ACKERMAN says
Very glad it was a help!
William Chambers says
Scholarly Article says
This is an invaluable writing tool and one I know I will refer back to whenever I need to create characters. I loved how the authors laid it all out and simplified how to create characters in the beginning and then followed it up with a comprehensive list of positive attributes that offer possible reasons the character may have developed that trait. What a great way to spark ideas and get to the heart and soul of each character!