Setting Thesaurus

Below are samples of our popular setting thesaurus.

For the completely developed and enhanced collection (over 220 settings included), please visit One Stop For Writers, where it has a permanent home within our vast Descriptive Database. You can access it and all our other thesauruses with a click of a button as you write! If you like, stop by and check out our FREE TRIAL.

If you are a book person, good news: The Rural Setting Thesaurus and The Urban Setting Thesaurus also contain all of this sitting description. Click each cover below to find out more about each book.

Happy writing!

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000046_00067]Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000046_00072]

What is a Setting Description Thesaurus?

Visit our other Descriptive Thesaurus Collections HERE.

*GE*: Guest Entry (an entry written by a guest poster)

Angela is a writing coach, international speaker, and bestselling author who loves to travel, teach, empower writers, and pay-it-forward. She also is a founder of One Stop For Writers, an online library packed with powerful tools to help writers elevate their storytelling.
This entry was posted in *. Bookmark the permalink.

trackback

[…] being put on the spot to name things can seem to cause your mind to go blank! Have a look at this list to help. We used this setting thesaurus in class. Did anyone manage to get over 50? I gave myself 5 […]

Andrea Oregon
Andrea Oregon
4 months ago

I would be the first to grab a copy if there was a Fantasy and SciFi/Dystopian Setting Thesaurus

Rachel L Harris
Rachel L Harris

Hi girls! Love your sites, own all your books, and have a subscription to One Stop 😉 One thing I didn’t see but was looking for was a dance studio. For my purposes it was a ballroom dance studio, but ballet could’ve worked, too. Thought I’d mention it in case you were looking for any new ideas

Thanks for all you do!!
xoxo

1youngwriter7
1youngwriter7

Can you include a wedding reception where the newlyweds dance?

BECCA PUGLISI
Admin
Reply to  1youngwriter7

Hi there! We actually have a Wedding Reception entry at One Stop For Writers. So if you have a subscription, you can view it there. 🙂

Charity Talbot
Charity Talbot

Love you guys for all these! They have been super helpful! I’m trying to paint the picture of how things are in a medieval military camp. Would this be on the list in the future? If not, what lists do you guys recommend using to get the right atmosphere? 🙂

BECCA PUGLISI
Admin
Reply to  Charity Talbot

Hi, Charity. We do have a few medieval settings in the thesaurus at One Stop For Writers: castle, armory, tavern, dungeon, gallows, and herbalist’s shop. We don’t have a military camp on our list currently, but I can add it to the hopper and we’ll see what happens. Off the top of my head, I think it might be too broad for us to cover. We have so many possible entries that we could write; many times, the decision comes down to how much research an entry would require and how many other similar entries we already have. But Angela and I can discuss it. I’ll let you know :).

As far as research goes, your best bet is to do some Google searches. I found a ton of information online when I was writing the Medieval Castle entry, so between the internet and the library, I’m sure you could find the info you need on a military camp. Best of luck!

trackback

[…] last week’s guest, Angela Ackerman, we give a practical example of how useful Angela’s ‘Setting Thesaurus’ collection can be, by applying it to one of the locations from my own upcoming crime novel, ‘Safe […]

Sid
Sid

I’ve been trying to write about an underwater expedition, but i’m unable to.
Since, I never experienced it. So can you Guys help me Out. 🙂

BECCA PUGLISI
Admin
Reply to  Sid

Hi, Sid. Check out the Ocean/Sea Bed entry. It’s only a partial entry; you can see the whole thing in the Rural Setting Thesaurus book or as part of the Setting Thesaurus at One Stop For Writers. Good luck!

trackback

[…] go on location or you want even more ideas, use the research of other writers, for example try the Setting Thesaurus on the Writers Helping Writers […]

trackback

[…] a place and list two sensory details for each of the five […]

Lee
Lee

Hi,

I’ve been using this website for years now. It is a treasure!

A tip for a new entry many would find useful:

Christmas marketplace (based perhaps on German cities)

Josh
Josh

Hello! I was wondering if you had anything for a cobbled street or old stone buildings? Thank you!

Simone
Simone

Would one For different types of Temples

Becca Puglisi
Admin
Reply to  Simone

Hi, Simone. Thanks for letting us know what you’d like to see. We’ll add this to our list of possibilities :).

Mark
Mark

Do you have anything on the website for a police station? I’m sure some of the stuff for other offices might translate, but the police station would have interrogation rooms, evidence counters, ect.

Or will that be in the book that is coming out sometime in the future?

Mark
Mark

Thank you for the link! I am sure that will be very helpful.

Evie Jayne

This is fantastic. Angela. For a long time I’ve been saying that a writer’s setting database would be such a good thing, but have no idea how to go about it. Thanks heaps for this. I have it in my bookmarks and pop it up each time I sit down to write. I live in a tiny town(population 350) and write urban fantasy set in large cities, so I don’t write what I know.
I’d love to see a database on places around the world eg: What does New York smell like, what would I be likely to see walking down the street in Arusha, Tanzania, what does the heat feel like when I step off the plane in Kuala Lumpur? If anybody knew of anything like this or knew how to create it, I would be eternally grateful.

Shell
Shell

I would love Museum on this list.
I find your site very useful and have three of your books on my writing shelf.

Becca Puglisi
Admin
Reply to  Shell

Hi, Shell! You’ll be happy to know that “Museum” is on our list for the book version of The Setting Thesaurus, which we’re hoping will be available for purchase in late spring. I wish it was sooner; if you can’t wait that long, I can tell you that this entry will be part of the Setting Thesaurus at One Stop For Writers, which is launching on October 7th. So you might want to check that out :).

Carly Marino
Carly Marino
Reply to  Becca Puglisi

Late spring is so far 🙁 can’t wait! Love what yall do! And

Shelia Cosper
Shelia Cosper

Why isn’t CASTLE on this list?????

you guys rock

Russell Baker
Russell Baker

Love the work you do!! Can’t wait for more books to come out, I will be purchasing all that I can get my hands on.
I do have some suggestions to add to the Setting Thesaurus Entry Collection –
You could use the following:
Laboratory or Workshop
Tunnel
Inn
Tavern
Stable

Thanks
Russ

Carly
Carly

I’m guessing you meant January 2016? I’m soooo very excited! I wish I could pre-order them now! I love your books, site, and resources. This site is wonderful! Thank you for all you do!

naila
naila

hi angela,
i would like to buy your book about setting thesaurus entry, could u give me any information about this.

naila
naila
Reply to  naila

yes please 🙂

naila
naila
Reply to  naila

hi
as english is not my first language, this website is a blessing of god for me. thank you so much for such a beneficial website 🙂

ardenFOXX
ardenFOXX

You have everything but a tropical island. 🙁

Becca Puglisi
Admin
Reply to  ardenFOXX

Hi, Arden! Angela and I are drafting the book version of this thesaurus, and we’ve already added the Tropical Island entry :). So eventually, you’ll have access to that one, too. Thanks for letting us know!

Celia Lewis
Celia Lewis

I’m wondering about the addition of “Yarn Store”… I can get lost in them for several hours… from the patterns to the fabulous yarns, commercial to local hand-dyed/woven, so many textures, sounds, sights.
Love what I’m reading on your site – total distraction… er, education! 🙂

Poppy
Poppy

This website is so useful. I use it all the time and I’m so grateful for all the work you put into it. I have all three of your books. I was wondering whether you might consider – if it’s not too late for me to ask – doing a setting of a train/train station? Once again, thank you for all your good work.

Becca Puglisi
Admin
Reply to  Poppy

Hi, Poppy! Unfortunately, we’re all done with the setting thesaurus and won’t be adding more to it on our blog. BUT…we ARE in the process of writing the book version of the setting thesaurus, and it will include a train station. I don’t know if you can wait that long, but the books will be out next spring :).

Corrie
Corrie
Reply to  Becca Puglisi

Book version of Setting Thesaurus? This makes me so happy!!!

trackback

[…] this unusual Setting thesaurus may be […]

Arden Rose
Arden Rose

This is a amazing website and I just received all three of your books very helpful. So I just wanted to say thanks for that. 🙂 is there any chance you could add a ‘Circus’ one? I’ve been trying to look around for it and watching some clips but honestly it’s a little difficult. If you could that would help me loads! Keep up the great work on this site it’s truly amazing.

trackback

[…] volumes that will encompass The Setting Thesaurus Collection. While we’ve posted quite a few setting choices here, we know there are a lot of “holes” in the range of locations available. And while we […]

Ian Laverman
Ian Laverman

Hi, these thesaurus are really amazing, the are a great help when i am writing even if i write in a different language. i was wondering if youre going to make one about a castle or a ancient abandond city?

Christine
Christine

I absolutely love this website, one of the best tools I have ever come across and so well organized. I would like to add to the list the following:
– overgrown field (forgotten farm land) has trees lining the property lines, grass long in some places, short in others, usually a tree in the center, old wooden windmills, wooden fences. What would it smell like? How do you describe the open and closed spaces (trees and grass) with accuracy for the reader?

Thanks!

Christina Janz

These setting thesaurus entries, as the others, are goldmines. I would love to see these all make it into physical books, because I like to just flip open a book for these kind of references. I’ve already bought the three books you have out. Absolute genius! I’ve told all my writer friends, who have also bought your books. One look through mine convinced them. Thank you for the work that went into this endeavor.

Becca Puglisi
Admin
Reply to  Christina Janz

Thanks so much for letting us know that our books are working for you, Christina. And for telling your friends ;). We don’t know for sure of all of our thesauri will make it into book form. Turning them into books takes quite a bit of time, so we’re focusing first on the ones that are the most popular. But we’ll keep you posted! Thanks again for the kinds words, and have a great week!

trackback
Emotion-Charged Settings - Writer.ly Community : Writer.ly Community

[…] that forces the reader to pay attention to the emotions at work and understand their depth. (Our Setting Thesaurus houses sensory description for over 100 different fictional settings for […]

Anon
Anon

Could you do a post about a mansion? My novel is set partly in a rich orphan’s estate, and as MC is observant, constantly bored and analytical, I need more details.

Bruce
Bruce

This is MASSIVELY helpful. Can you guys add a veterinary clinic to the list?

Thanks guys!