5 Steps To Find Your Book’s Ideal Audience

There’s nothing quite like seeing a book with your name on it. The beautiful cover, the weight of it in your hands, the pages of your creativity bundled into a package for readers to enjoy. It sits o the shelf–maybe a physical one, perhaps a virtual one–but it is there, mingling with other books, rubbing spines with both fresh and established voices alike.

And there it will sit, waiting to be noticed..among not hundreds, not thousands, but a virtual tsunami of books that grows larger each day. Sure, family and friends will buy your book, and perhaps some of your supporters and connections online, too. But unless you do something, it will eventually fade into obscurity, never having the chance to break out and be discovered by the exact people looking to read a book just like yours.

The number one failing of authors (provided they have a well edited, quality book) is an inability to connect with their exact audience.

AudienceTraditionally published or self-published, in this competitive market, authors must actively find readers or risk their book dying on the shelf. Many fiction authors try hard, but often miss the mark as far as targeting an audience (promoting too narrowly for example, say only to other writers). Some unfortunately go the spam route, misusing social media to shout constantly about their book, sales, 5 star reviews and even sending “check out my book + LINK” messages to followers. This type of promo becomes “White Noise,” which most ignore. In some cases, people become so annoyed, rather than this strategy pulling new readers in, it pushes them away.

So How Does An Author Find Their Ideal Audience?

1) Know What Makes Your Book Special

While a book’s genre (and sub-genres) help to narrow reader interest, this is only the start of your journey to finding your ideal audience. A Fantasy enthusiast will not be interested in reading ALL types of Fantasy, right? So the first step is defining what about your book makes it stand out from all the other novels like yours. Move beyond just genre. What themes or elements are unique about your book? What are the strongest qualities about your hero or heroine that make them likeable? What concept makes your book pop?

Is your fantasy about a race of nomadic humans who are really shape shifting dragons, but over the generations, have forgotten what they are? Or, does your book have a hero who must solve codes and cyphers to uncover an astrological prophesy? Maybe it involves unusual magical travel…wizards that have discovered they can bottle the scents associated with a location and when a subject inhales it, he travels to that place. Whatever it is, this “special element” is a big part of what makes your book unique, and what will draw readers to your type of story and characters.

2) Make a List of Groups that Tie into this Element

Figured out what makes your book stand out from all the others like it? Awesome. Now it’s time to find out what interests people who think X is compelling, because that’s what’s special about your book.

Let’s take one of my examples. Say your book is the Dragon Fantasy concept above. A book featuring dragons may appeal to people who collect dragon figurines, read dragon-centric books, play dragon fantasy games, create dragon artwork, fashion dragon jewellery, blog about dragons, go to dragon-themed movies, visit forums that discuss dragon culture, etc. Google has 38 pages for “dragon lovers.” In less than a minute, I found a Dragon Museum, Dragon Decor Designs and a ton of forums, facebook groups, and the like.  Using Twitter Search, I discovered there is a #Dragon hashtag that brings up people, products and discussions about dragons. All of these people have the potential to be your exact reading audience, especially those who wish dragons were real, but are hiding their true forms. Or Fantasy readers interested in shape shifters and nomadic cultures.

(Don’t forget to look around locally, too. There may be groups, events and activities that tie into your book’s special concept in your own backyard.)

3) Identify Possible Influencers and Opportunities

Now within this glorious pool of Dragondom, there will be influencers: people who blog about all things dragons that really draw an audience, or active forums that discuss the latest dragon films and books. Perhaps gaming communities or even Facebook or Goodreads groups that draw a crowd. All of these help dragon enthusiasts discuss the thing they all love.

Check some of these places out to see if they might be a home for you too. After all, if what makes your book special is the shape-shifting dragon element, I’m going to assume you have a strong interest in dragons, right? Surely you have some things to talk about, links to share, books to recommend, etc. We write what we love, and so we should love to talk about what we write.

You want to find several groups or blogs that offer content to their readers that would also appeal to your readers. See who is discussing dragons on the web. Is there a Twitter Chat about dragons? Also look for people who create tangible goods for dragon lovers (artists, designers, etc.)  These are people you want to try and connect with, because opportunities might exist down the road for some cross promotion. Don’t forget other authors with books like yours. Make friends, tweet links to their blog and book. They will notice and most reciprocate, meaning your book might get noticed by their audience.

4) Connect and Engage

Hurray! We have found a slew of blogs, websites, forums and people who are into dragons! Time to join up, follow and send messages about our book, right?

Sorry, that’s not how it works.

Finding out who your audience might be is one thing, but actually (hopefully) turning them into your audience is another. To do that, you need to connect. Interact. Join conversations going on about dragons. Discuss your own collection, the books you read, the movies you watch. Talk to people, find out more about them. Talk about life. Ask questions. Be genuine. Add to the conversation, supply links to things you think others will find interesting about dragons. Build relationships.

Yes, this takes time. It’s work, but if your heart is into it, it’s fun too. In time you will see that these relationships are worth far more than a handful of sales generated from  spam promo. Why? Because when you need help, you can ask. Maybe you need reviewers, or have a book launch coming up and need people to spread the word. These individuals who you have invested your time in will often be the most enthusiastic about helping you gain visibility. They become not just supporters, but if we are lucky, fans.

5) Create Book Events to Draw in Your Reading Audience

One of the best ways to gain visibility is to host a big book event online. Thinking very hard about who your exact audience is, and what they would find interesting or entertaining is the key to drawing the right crowd to your event. Online book events like a book launch are the one time when people expect us to shout about our new book from the rooftops. We can build buzz and flash our cover and blurbs, and draw interest. Events are excellent ways to get your book noticed by the right people!

But the trick is to create an event that utilizes Social Media well, and draws the attention of the right people: people most suited to enjoy our book. Unfortunately this has been made harder because of all the “White Noise” of online promotion out there. So, the task is up to us to WOW people enough that they take notice, and don’t dismiss the event as more “book promotion.”

When you create your event, keep your theme or special element in mind. Build around it. Could you do a dragon treasure hunt across many different blogs using street team members? Perhaps add a shape shifting element where participants follow clues to figure out which street team member is human and which is a dragon, so they can find the hoard (giveaway prize) on someone’s blog?  Something else? You decide!

hungry

Hungry for More?

Marketing Handouts (scroll down for the motherlode)

Book Launch Swipe File (access all my Street Team communication, promotional posters, and marketing plans for my last book launch)

How To Find Influencers, Build A Relationship, & Work Together To Get Book Visibility With Your Exact Audience

A Marketing Truth Few Experts Will Admit

35 Posts To Help Writers Elevate Their Writing & Marketing Skills

Marketing doesn’t have to be bang-your-head-into-cement painful. It just takes an open mind, time, an honest effort, and a genuine desire to know your readers. 🙂

Image 1: OpenClips @ Pixabay
Image 2: Freepht @ pixabay

Angela is a writing coach, international speaker, and bestselling author who loves to travel, teach, empower writers, and pay-it-forward. She also is a founder of One Stop For Writers, a portal to powerful, innovative tools to help writers elevate their storytelling.
This entry was posted in Buying Books, Marketing, Promotion, Publishing and Self Publishing, Social Networking, The Business of Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

trackback

[…] Post you’ll like: 5 Steps To Find Your Book’s Ideal Audience […]

Meg
Meg

There are so many questions I don’t even have enough knowledge to know to ask.

Anyway, just saying thank you again.

Meg
Meg

What do you do when what makes the book special isn’t so tangible? For instance, the theme that runs through all of my books is “second chances.” To me, that’s what makes my books special, approaching that theme from all sorts of different angles. Also, the concept of what we see of the world not being all there is — that there are supernatural layers the ordinary people characters don’t realize exist until something hits them in the face and forces them to see and deal with those layers. I don’t know how to find people who might like something like this. It’s not as simple as “dragons,” but the simple examples like dragons are the only ones I can find anywhere and I don’t know how to extrapolate them to get where I need to go. Help?

Meg
Meg

No, definitely not a religious theme. I play with time and ghosts, mostly. They really exist in my books, but the books are fiction, so not the “people who believe this stuff is real” community. I’d say if I had more romance in my books, they’d be paranormal romance. Or if my protagonists were supernatural themselves, they’d be urban fantasy (well except they’re not urban, either). But neither of those is accurate. One of my biggest influences is the late writer Barbara Michaels, if that’s any help. Her books were classified as gothic, but she had female protagonists. By and large, I don’t.

The second chance thing is more people starting out the book at the end of their rope for one reason or another, being handed a second chance whether they want it or not, and learning how to make the most of it.

And *how* do I find those groups you mention? All I know how to do is google them, and that’s not productive.

Any other thoughts? Pretty please?

Meg
Meg

Thank you for the ideas. How specifically do I go about finding books like mine? I’ve never been able to figure that out. How does one start a twitter chat? I didn’t even know such things existed.

Meg
Meg

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

trackback

[…] received her article “5 Steps to Find Your Book’s Ideal Audience.” Up until today, I have floundered with this critically important endeavor. Thanks to […]

trackback

[…] Post you’ll like: 5 Steps To Find Your Book’s Ideal Audience […]

trackback

[…] Discover how to find your book’s ideal audience […]

trackback

[…] Source: writershelpingwriters.net […]

Gippy

Hi Angela:

Thanks so much for all of this great information. As a true introvert, I’ve been trying to get involved in social media for over a year. I belong, but lax in communications. Your suggestions have given me more direction. I hope to see my book out there mid-November. I’m getting nervous I won’t be doing enough promotions. Writing a book was a breeze in comparison. I too have bookmarked your site.

BECCA PUGLISI
Admin
Reply to  Gippy

Hi, Gippy! Angela’s out of town, so I wanted to chime in and say good for you for jumping into the social media pool ;). As a fellow introvert, I know how hard it can be. A book that really helped me with this was Kristen Lamb’s We Are Not Alone (and also her sequel, Rise of the Machines). They both deal with how the author can interact with others through social media and gain visibility in our quickly-changing virtual world. Also, I hardly ever do this because I’m not a sell-sell-sell kind of person, but we just presented a webinar that contains content that it sounds like you might be able to use with your upcoming release. It’s called Marketing Marriage: Creative Social Media Solutions To Help Your Book Get Noticed. It’s available On Demand for the next three weeks (which means you can download the recording of the webinar and view it at your leisure). If you’re interested, you can find more info here. Congrats on your book launch!

Monna Ellithorpe

Hi Angela,
This is my first visit to your blog and this post is full of information that I need. I have had some problems with the crossover/blending between writing and marketing. I am venturing out to find other writers and blogs such as yours to learn from. Thank you so much for sharing.

trackback

[…] If you don’t find it easy to describe your audience, try this method. […]

Ileandra Young

I love this post. It’s SO mega handy and full of things that make sense but you never think of. Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂

V.L. Jennings

Awesome Advice! Actually the best advice I’ve ever heard on reaching your audience! Thank you!

Louise Lyndon

Great post and great advice. I have my first release coming out in December (tentative date at this stage, just waiting for final confirmation) and it’s scaring the beejeebas out of me when it comes to trying to reach the right people – so this has really helped to get me thinking in the right direction.

I’m going to be joining the webinar and will encourage others to do so.

Sara Litchfield

Wow, what great timing & great advice! See you at the class 🙂

Tam Francis

Great blog post. I thought once I did #4 it would be a breeze. I have a great niche audience and connect with some, but not enough to put a dent in sales. This #4 connecting/building the audience is tough. I hope it’s just a matter of time and engagement?

~ Tam Francis ~

Julie Musil

Excellent advice! Thank you. We can also utilize keywords with those “special” things about the book too.

Susanne Drazic

These are great tips. Thanks! I’ve bookmarked this post.

SJ Franics

Excellent information!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards, S. J Francis

Traci Kenworth

OMG, this is FANTASTIC info!! I can see where this strategy would work BIG time!!

Natalie Aguirre

Great tips. It makes so much sense but I needed the awesome examples to see this. I’m going to bookmark it too.

Jacquie Biggar

You guys should go into the marketing business, I’d sign up 🙂

:Donna Marie

The two of you are true powerhouses and continuously put forth a wealth of invaluable information! I bookmarked this page and plan to refer to it 🙂

P.S. I clicked on the link to get the “recording” of the webinar, but it led to the registration page on which I didn’t see a way to purchase it. Did I miss something, my dear? lol

:Donna Marie

Ah, OK! It says it’s full, actually. Were you aware of that? lol You’re in such high demand! SHOCKING! 😉

:Donna Marie

LOL…I totally get THAT one, Angela!

Fiona

What a wonderful, informative post, that really strikes home about the need to connect and build within a community, as opposed to endless self-promotion! Thank you!

Brenda Johnson
Brenda Johnson

Excellent advice that goes deeper than other marketing advice I’ve read. Thank you, thank you!