Publication Timeline: October 25th, 2017
Understanding the Psychological Impact of a Character’s Past Pain
Readers connect to characters with depth, ones that have experienced life’s ups and downs. To bring realistic, compelling characters to the page, writers must know them intimately—not only who they are in the present story, but also what made them that way. Of all the formative experiences in a character’s past, none are more destructive than emotional wounds. The aftershocks of trauma can change who they are, alter what they believe, and sabotage their ability to achieve meaningful goals, all of which will affect the trajectory of your story.
DIG DEEP TO UNCOVER YOUR CHARACTER’S PAST
Identifying the backstory wound is crucial to understanding how it will shape your character’s behavior, and The Emotional Wound Thesaurus can help. Inside, you’ll find:
- A database of traumatic situations and events common to the human experience
- An in-depth study on a wound’s impact, including the fears, lies, personality shifts, and dysfunctional behaviors that can arise from different types of trauma
- An extensive analysis of character arc and how the wound and any resulting unmet needs fit into it
- Techniques on how to show the past experience to readers in a way that is both engaging and revelatory while avoiding the pitfalls of info dumps and telling
- A showcase of popular characters and how their traumatic experiences reshaped them, leading to very specific story goals
- A Backstory Wound Profile tool that will enable you to document your characters’ negative past experiences and their aftereffects
Root your characters in reality by giving them an authentic wound that causes difficulties and prompts them to strive for inner growth to overcome it. With its easy-to-read format and over 100 entries packed with information, The Emotional Wound Thesaurus is a crash course in psychology for creating characters that feel real to readers.
View a sample entry: Accidentally Killing Someone
Excited for this release? Perhaps one of these options is right for you:
- Notify me when this book is available
- Join the Street Team (we’d love to have you!)
- Contact Becca & Angela about featuring this book on a podcast, in a blog review, or at another event
- Inquire into foreign rights options for this edition
- Sign up for our Writers Helping Writers Newsletter
Interested in other volumes in this Thesaurus series? Click here to return to the Bookstore.