Each year we look forward to this post, the one where we get to spill the beans and introduce to you the next book in our thesaurus series. This one we are so excited about, because no matter what genre and age group you write for, mastering conflict is a must. And this book is going to help you do just that.
Isn’t she pretty?
We figured it was time to go for gold, because, well, this book is a goldmine of conflict scenarios that will challenge your character inside and out! Here’s the back jacket…
THE CONFLICT THESAURUS, VOLUME 1:
A Writer’s Guide to Obstacles, Adversaries, and Inner Struggles
Every story starts with a character who is motivated by a need and has a goal that can resolve it. Whether their objective is to find a life partner, bring a killer to justice, overthrow a cruel regime, or something else, conflict transforms a story premise into something fresh. Physical obstacles, adversaries, moral dilemmas, deep-seated doubts and personal struggles…these not only block a character’s external progress, they become a gateway for internal growth. The right conflict will build tension and high stakes, challenge characters as they traverse their arcs, and most importantly, keep readers emotionally invested from beginning to end.
CHOOSE MEANINGFUL CONFLICT TO FIT YOUR CHARACTER AND STORY
IInside Volume 1 of The Conflict Thesaurus, you’ll find:
- A myriad of conflict options in the form of relationship friction, failures and mistakes, moral dilemmas and temptations, pressure and ticking clocks, and no-win scenarios
- An analysis of each scenario that maps out possible complications and catastrophes, internal struggles, and the stressful impacts on a character’s basic human needs
- Guidance on using conflict to influence your protagonist’s character arc through opportunities for failure and success
- Master class instruction on internal conflict: what it is, why it’s important, and how to incorporate it at the scene and story levels
- Information about the role conflict plays in generating high stakes that are personally significant to the character, upping the tension for readers
- A breakdown of the various adversaries your character might encounter along the way
Don’t give your character a break. Keep the hits coming with a variety of obstacles that will force them to work harder to get what they want. With over 100 entries arranged in a user-friendly format, The Conflict Thesaurus is the guide you need to write intense and satisfying fiction readers won’t forget.
Volume 1… Does that mean what I think it does?
Yes! There will be two volumes. The second will contain even more advice on writing conflict and offer more conflict scenarios, giving you endless ways to challenge your characters. Look for Volume 2 releasing in 2022.
Will there be a preorder?
Sorry, no. We’ve tried a preorder in the past, but a certain online store made a mess of it (costing us hundreds of sales), so we’re not eager to try again. Our apologies. But you can get a notification the instant the book is available. Just add your email here!
Can I get an ARC of the Conflict Thesaurus?
Every book launch we give out 50 Arcs, and unfortunately these have already been distributed. We’re sorry! But we hope you will review this guide when it’s out, and we’d be honored to have you on our Street Team if you’d like to be involved. (See below)
Will you have a Street Team? Can I help?
Yes, yes, and YES! If you would like to be part of our Street Team, you can sign up here. To make this a success, we need helpers in many areas and your support is always appreciated so much. Plus, you get a front row seat to managing a Street Team and running a launch, which you can apply to your own book launches!
Can I access The Conflict Thesaurus at One Stop for Writers?
Yes, in September. We always add all thesauruses to One Stop for Writers where they Borg into the largest descriptive database found anywhere.
Did we miss a question? If so, please ask and we’ll be happy to answer!
We hope you are as excited for this book as we are! Two months…hurry up and get here, October 12th!
~ Becca & Angela