Talent & Skill Thesaurus

Everyone has a special skill or talent, including our characters! Try our selection below to jump start ideas on what you’re character might be good at (that will help him within the scope of your story!)

What is a Talent and Skill Thesaurus?

A Knack for Languages

Swift-footedness

Talking With The Dead

Throwing One’s Voice

Whittling

Wilderness Navigation

Wrestling

Visit our other Descriptive Thesaurus Collections HERE.

44 Responses to Talent & Skill Thesaurus

1. Pingback: Seek out the useful. | Deans Place

2. Samuel Lee says:

Since I’m half-obligated as a writer, and half-obligated by my friend Archer, I’m going to throw some talents up for consideration:

-Debating
    -Communicating
    -Cooking
    -Scavenging
    -Programming
    -Hacking
    -Teaching
    -Painting
    -Writing
    -Instrument Playing
    -Information of Assimilation (essentially a walking encyclopedia)
    -Piloting
    -Dog-fighting (not with dogs, in the air or space combat)
    -Improvisation

3. Claire Sayers says:

Great list.

Lock picking, public speaking, and riding a unicycle should be on this list.

4. Valencia says:

Thank you very much for this list! I always use this as reference on my works. It would be nice if you can make one for dancing (dances such as ball and waltz). Thank you again!

5. Brittney says:

I love your website so much. I’m on it everyday! Would you mind adding someone who is good with sailing?

6. Pingback: NaNoWriMo Prep: Brainstorming the Hero Before You Start Writing | Writers In The Storm

7. Grace says:

Love the site. it helps me out so much! Is there a chance you could add Arcobatics to the list?

8. Great list. I’m sure you have many more, but wanted to throw out Tactician or Strategist. I consider them vastly different, but can see lumping them together. It’s one of those skills that many think they have but few truly do.

9. Pingback: Talents and Skills Entry: Swift-footed - WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

10. Pingback: Character Talents & Skills: Parkour | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

11. Dan says:

Please consider adding, Swordfighting (Two handed, cutlass and sabres )

Thanks!
    D

12. Pingback: Let’s Talk About the Heroine | Love2…

13. Pingback: Character Talent & Skills: High Pain Tolerance | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

14. Pingback: Lessons From James Scott Bell: Characters That Jump Off The Page | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

15. Great article and ideas! However, I think you mean “Speaking With A SILVER Tongue,” not “Speaking With A Sliver Tongue.” 😉

16. Gina Scott Roberts says:

What about garroting? So many people think it’s done the way Hollywood shows it….

17. Sarah Lilliendahl says:

Just rummaging through the new talents and skills thesaurus and Survival Skills caught my eye, but when I click on it, it led me to the Fishing entry. I tried it several times with the same result. Just thought I’d say something in case you weren’t aware and others had had the same experience 🙂 Thanks for all of your amazing work!

18. Pingback: 4 Great Reasons Why Your Hero Needs A Special Skill or Talent | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

19. Pingback: What’s the Perfect Job for Our Characters? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author

20. Pingback: Talents and Skills Entry: Archery | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

21. Don’t forget horseback riding, you guys. I did use this though for the wilderness navigation. EXCELLENT! xoxo

22. Pingback: Skills & Talents Entry: Gaming | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

23. Annette Taylor says:

I hope you include gardening and sculpturing in your skills and talents thesaurus. I’m thinking about a characters who might need those skills and it would be a great help to me.

• Annette, those are on our list. I’ve already scheduled this week’s entry, and we’re taking a break after that for the holidays, but I’ll bump them to the top of the list for January :).

24. Pingback: Introducing...The Talents and Skills Thesaurus! | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

25. Pingback: Talents and Skills Thesaurus Entry: BAKING | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

26. Pingback: Talents and Skills Thesaurus Entry: Carpentry | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

27. Pingback: Talents and Skills: Sewing | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

28. Pingback: Talent and Skills Entry: Knife Throwing | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

29. Pingback: Talents and Skill Thesaurus: Foraging | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS

30. Pingback: Talents and Skills Thesaurus: Wrestling | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS